It is typical for someone with a head injury to suffer from an inability to recognize the severity of his or her injuries. Very often it is only those people who know the victim well who are able to recognize the important changes. It is very important that you speak with us to find out how to obtain immediate assistance from specialized treatment providers and supervision from attendant care workers. He or she could be entitled to substantial benefits that will be provided by one or more insurance companies.

I have long-term disability coverage through my employment. My doctor says I am not able to work but my insurance company is denying my claim. What should I do? Conte & Associates can help you with these disputes. Our experience handling long-term disability claims will ensure that you receive the benefits to which you are entitled. If you have a long-term disability and your insurer is denying you benefits, Conte & Associates can help ensure your future security.

*The information in this booklet does not constitute legal advice. Please contact our office to ensure you receive full and current legal advice.


You only have a limited amount of time for pursuing a claim for damages. That deadline, the “limitation period”, varies depending on the type of claim and injury you have experienced. If you miss certain limitation periods, you may be prevented from pursuing your claim. You should consult our office for the most current information regarding the applicable limitation period.

Motor Vehicle Accidents

  • Accident should be reported within 24 hours if police did not attend at the scene.
  • Your insurer should be informed as soon as possible and within 7 days of the accident.
  • The at-fault parties should be notified within 120 days of the accident.
  • You must sue the parties who are responsible for the accident within 2 years.
  • You must mediate and dispute any refusals for accident benefits within 2 years of each refusal.

Municipal Negligence (e.g. Slip and Fall on a Municipal Sidewalk)

  • You must give written notice to the municipality within 10 days of the accident, if caused by snow or ice.
  • You must sue the parties who are responsible for the accident within 2 years.

Crown Corporations and Accidents Involving Government Managed Trains, Streetcars, etc.

  • You must sue the parties who are responsible for the accident within 1 or 2 years depending on which parties are involved and how the accident happened.

Fatal Accidents (Accidents causing death)

  • You must generally sue the parties responsible within 2 years from the date of loss.

Long-Term Disability Benefits

  • You must sue the parties who denied you benefits in accordance with the timelines contained in the insurance policy, which is generally 1-2 years.
  • You must apply for benefits and appeal any denials in accordance with the terms of the insurance policy.
  • If you are asked to apply for CPP Benefits and are denied such benefits, you must appeal the HRDC decision within 90 days.

*The information in this booklet does not constitute legal advice. Please contact our office to ensure you receive full and current legal advice.


There are important things you should do as soon as possible after an accident:

  • Immediately obtain appropriate medical treatment;
  • Report the accident and provide the police with all requested information;
  • Obtain and preserve the contact information of all persons involved and any witnesses to the accident;
  • Obtain photographs of the injuries, property damage and scene, if possible;
  • Notify your family doctor about the accident and your injuries;
  • Keep a list of the names and contact information for your treating doctors;
  • Keep receipts for all related expenses, including those incurred by family members;
  • Speak to the lawyers at Conte & Associates. We will assist you with investigating and advancing your claim quickly and efficiently.

Persons who have suffered serious injuries or illness are usually under great financial and emotional stress. As such, we do not typically ask our clients to provide a financial contribution towards their case up front. We only receive payment when your case is settled – and you receive your settlement money. We would be happy to answer any questions you have about legal fees at your free initial consultation.

You are entitled to select your own treatment providers and case managers, not just accept those sent by your insurance company. We suggest you meet with qualified health care professionals before you make your decision. We can help put you in touch with specialized professionals.

We suggest contacting Conte & Associates to determine if the claim should be pursued through your accident benefits or through WSIB (Workplace Safety Insurance Board).

In Ontario, anyone who is injured in a car accident is entitled to accident benefits coverage from his or her own insurer. You might be entitled to significant benefits for income or medical and rehabilitation benefits. If you sustained a serious injury as a result of a motor vehicle accident, we can offer you a free consultation.

If an injured person has a severe injury that prevents him or her from being able to make decisions, a family member can make decisions regarding treatment on the injured person’s behalf while he or she is in hospital. Afterwards, a Litigation Guardian can be appointed. We can help you with this process.

You must notify your insurance company and provide specific supporting information if you are making a claim for accident benefits. Your insurance company will likely also send an insurance adjuster to meet with you to obtain a signed statement.

You should obtain legal advice and know your rights before meeting with an insurance adjuster and before answering any questions.

You may also be contacted by an adjuster from the insurance company for the person who caused your injuries. You are not required to meet with that adjuster. You should always speak to a lawyer first. Conte & Associates can be reached at (416) 544-0008.

If you are injured in a car accident, you may have the right to make a claim against the parties who caused, or contributed to, your injury. Claims for compensation for your pain and suffering and financial losses can be made for injuries suffered in many situations and are often covered by insurance. These include accidents involving cars, motorcycles, planes, boats, trains, snowmobiles, ATVs and other motorized vehicles including public transportation. You also have a claim for no-fault accident benefits which may provide immediate payments to replace lost income as well as medical and rehabilitation benefits and, in some instances, pay the costs of attendant care and housekeeping assistance.

If you were injured in a car accident, we will meet with you to provide a free consultation to discuss your legal rights.

SEO & Site Design by VPDM Digital Marketing Copyright © 2015 Conte & Associates Ltd. All Rights Reserved