Public Bus Accident Lawsuit – What You Need To Know
Public transport vehicles are just as prone to getting involved in accidents as any other vehicle. Most bus drivers have proper training, excellent response times, and licenses, but they’re still human beings and can make some unfortunate mistakes. At Conte Jaswal, we have worked with many clients who have been injured because they were involved in public bus accidents. Most people aren’t aware that they can file a public bus accident lawsuit if they’re injured in any way.
Can You Sue Public Transportation?
Public bus drivers are professionals and may be less likely to get involved in accidents. Despite this, there were over 18,000 collisions recorded between 2009 and 2013, and around 5,000 of them were preventable. Bus drivers aren’t always as vigilant as they are supposed to be during some commutes.
However, can you sue the bus driver for their negligence? Who is liable in such a situation and how much compensation are you likely to get? The answer to these questions isn’t apparent, which is one of the reasons why people don’t often seek bus accident compensation.
If you’ve been involved in some form of accident, we encourage you to book a consultation with us. Our legal expert will analyze the circumstances around the case carefully and determine if there’s a solid case against the public transport company. Even if you’re uncertain whether you are eligible for compensation, it is a good idea to consult with a legal professional first.
Why Do Public Bus Accidents Happen?
There are several causes of bus accidents but most of them are not preventable, and drivers can be held liable to them. However, some accidents are caused by driver negligence. Here’s a look at some of the most common causes of preventable bus accidents:
- Insufficient Maintenance – Buses, like all motor vehicles, require proper maintenance to function well. As public buses experience more wear and tear, they often need more maintenance than private cars. One of the most common reasons for bus accidents is poor maintenance. If the public bus isn’t maintained well, it is more likely to get involved in accidents.
- Driver Exhaustions – Drivers need to be focused on the task and remain vigilant throughout the journey. This requires a lot of energy, which comes from food and proper rest. If the driver is too exhausted, they won’t be focused which can lead to accidents. Many public bus drivers work long hours and don’t get proper rest, which has an impact on their alertness. This is entirely preventable if the transport company has a firm policy on working hours and provides adequate compensation to their drivers.
- Driving Under the Influence – Drunk driving is also a common cause of bus accidents. If the driver is under the influence, there’s a high risk of accidents. People under the influence don’t have the ability or focus needed to handle heavy vehicles and such situations always end in a tragedy.
Sometimes the driver is merely negligent and distracted, despite being of sound mind. Things like a phone call or a passenger distracting the driver can cause an accident. Our experienced team will determine where liability lies and act accordingly.
Is it Difficult to File a Public Bus Accident Lawsuit?
Laws vary from province to province. It would be best if you got tailored legal advice from a reliable professional to understand your circumstances. The laws in Ontario make it challenging for people to file lawsuits against public services. The Better Tomorrow For Ontario Act (Bill 173) made some changes in the system, placing more hurdles in this aspect.
One of the most challenging aspects of this situation is the fact that people can only sue if there’s a collision. The bus must physically crash against something, and you must sustain an injury as a result of that crash to gain compensation.
This can make it quite difficult to file a claim, but it is still possible to do so. You need reliable and competent lawyers to fight for the case. You need headstrong and determined individuals who will fight your case and ensure you get compensation. Our lawyers have significant experience in this field and will explore every avenue to gain success.
What Should You Do If This Happens to You?
Most people are uncertain about how to approach such a situation. They’re not aware of their rights and don’t know if they can file a public bus accident lawsuit against a company that handles public transport. Here’s a look at some of the steps you should take:
- Record Every Detail – Fresh evidence is the best evidence. If you’re not too gravely injured, it is a good idea to record everything. If you’re severely injured, get medical treatment first and then write everything you remember if the incident. The details of the accident will slip away as time passes by, which is why it is a good idea to record information when your memory is fresh.
- Take Pictures – Take pictures of the accident, your injury, and any other relevant information. Most people have a smartphone on hand, and you can capture images and details. This will allow your lawyers to build a good case against the company.
- Don’t Neglect Your Wounds – It is vital to get medical treatment immediately. If your wounds become more severe because you neglected to get treatment, you might receive less compensation.
Don’t panic or speak to any third-party legal representative. Many victims are bullied into settling for a small amount because they don’t have proper legal support right after the accident.
Don’t speak to anyone without a lawyer present. Our legal experts are protective of their clients, especially when they’re injured or vulnerable. We will make sure you aren’t persuaded to act against your interests.
How To Make A Claim Against A Bus Company
Filing a claim against a bus company starts with getting a good lawyer. An experienced personal injury lawyer who has worked on public transport related cases before is the best choice. These cases are a little more complicated than regular vehicle injury cases because of the many regulations involved. Here’s a look at what our lawyers will do:
- Understand the circumstances surrounding your accident from your perspective.
- Collect evidence and get witness accounts of what happened.
- Collect medical reports that explain your injuries and their long-term impact on your lifestyle.
- Build a strong case based on facts and evidence to increase your chances of winning.
- Determine the best bus crash settlement amount for your trauma and injury.
- Carry out negotiations and argue your case in court if needed.
- Make sure you have adequate legal representation.
Our legal experts will always provide straightforward and honest advice on all matters related to your case. They will make sure you understand your rights and position so you can make sound decisions regarding the accident.
If you’re looking for more advice on the situation, don’t hesitate to contact us at Conte Jaswal.
You can call us at our toll-free number 1.877.614.0008 as well. Our lawyer will provide excellent advice and help you get the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today for a FREE Consultation.