What Happens When My Child Is Injured On A Playground?

For a parent, there can be few things worse than seeing your child being hurt. When an accident occurs and your child is injured on a playground, it’s a stressful time for the entire family. On one hand, you are doing everything you can to ensure that your child receives proper medical attention, and on the other you may have questions about how the accident could have happened and if there was anything that could have been done to prevent it.

It’s normal to feel a range of emotions after the event. You may feel angry, afraid or guilty, either in succession or all at the same time in varying degrees. During this challenging time, you should not have to be making decisions about making a claim for your child’s injuries on your own. Your best course of action is to seek advice from an experienced personal injury attorney.

Child Injury Claims

Since a child is a minor, he or she cannot bring a lawsuit for a personal injury on his or her own. All child injury claims require a litigation guardian who is a responsible adult who will act as the child’s legal representative in the lawsuit. This is not the same as the lawyer; the litigation guardian can be one of the child’s parents or another person who can represent the child.

Any settlements of lawsuits involving minor children are subject to approval by the Court before they can be finalized to ensure that they are fair.

Learn more about school safety and liability.

Consult an Attorney to Ensure Fair Compensation for Playground Injuries

In order to receive the full amount of compensation that your child is entitled to, you should speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. You do not have to wait until you know the full prognosis for your child’s recovery.

Part of preparing your case involves taking pictures of the playground, interviewing witnesses and investigating whether the equipment was in good repair. Waiting to speak to a lawyer will not these aspects if you decide to proceed with a claim.

If your child gets hurt on a playground, it is not your fault. Focus on taking action going forward and call Conte Associates at 1-877-614-0008. Based in Vaughan and Whitby, Conte & Associates works with clients in Whitby/Oshawa, and in the following cities in Ontario: Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Clarington, Newcastle, Courtice, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Port Perry, Belleville, and Peterborough.

View More Articles