What to do After a Car Accident Injury
Every day when you get behind the wheel, you may be thinking about getting to work on time, picking up kids from school or their activities, or maybe even thinking about the grocery list. Whatever you are thinking about, chances are you are not thinking about what to do after a car accident injury.
However, car accidents happen every day on roadways. The problem is that when you are involved in a car accident, you may not be thinking clearly about what you need to do, who you need to call and what this may mean for your future.
Steps for What to do After a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, first things first, you will want to check to see that you are not severely injured. In situations in which you and the other driver are not injured, the process becomes pretty simple with what you should do.
- Be sure to exchange insurance information with the other driver. You may want to get a police report in the event that it becomes an issue of whose fault it is and neither driver will agree to the answer.
- Talk to others who are around the accident to see if they have anything that they can tell. For example, if the other driver ran a red light.
- Take photographs of the accident that showcases the damage to your vehicle and the other involved vehicle. Be sure to take pictures of the area around where the accident occurred, so that this can give everyone a good idea of where it was at and what could have happened.
- Inform your insurance company as soon as possible to ensure that the car is fixed, and other issues are taken care of.
In the event that there are still issues, you may need to look into a lawyer, which is something that will be discussed.
For those who are involved in a car accident that has resulted in an injury, the process that you are going to do is going to be slightly different than when there were no injuries.
- You will need to get in touch with 911 to get an ambulance to the scene due to the injury that you have. Remember, even if you think that this is nothing, you are going to want to get checked out by a medical professional. If you are in the situation in which your injury is making it impossible to contact emergency services, the other driver or someone who witnessed the accident will call for you.
- Once emergency services are called, police will often report to the scene of the accident as well. They will take reports, talk with those who may have seen what happened and the like.
- Your goal is to get to the hospital and get whatever treatment that is needed in order to get you onto the path of healing.
- Be sure to get a copy of the police report so that you can see what the police found and whose fault they are labeling this accident as.
- Talk with your insurance company about the accident and be sure to relay the information that you know. They will want a police report and also want to know what medical issues you are facing.
After the Car Accident
While you may have denied emergency services at a car accident, those who have been in one of these car accidents will want to watch out for after car accident symptoms.
These symptoms can often be the sign that there is an injury that did not show up right away from the accident. And these are very common! So, don’t think that this is something that you will not have to contend with.
Some of these symptoms include:
- Having body aches from the actual impact of the car accident.
- Feeling tired after the car accident, which could be a sign that you have suffered a head injury or it could be the stress that you have went through while dealing with this car accident.
- If you start having blurred vision or intense headaches, this could be a sign of a head injury as well.
When you do start to show any type of symptoms and you have been involved in a car accident, it is important that you get to the doctor as soon as possible.
This way, you have proof that the car accident was to blame, and you are ensuring that you are staying healthy.
Never dismiss a pain that you have, and it is not going away, as it could have happened in the car accident and is not just becoming an issue.
A Car Accident Lawyer May Be Your Only Option
It is important to note that you may not need a lawyer immediately when you have been involved in a car accident. However, more people than not find that having a lawyer on their side, if for nothing more than to look over the deal that the insurance company is giving, is a way to relieve stress.
A lawyer is going to work with you to ensure that the insurance company is not taking advantage of you and that you are getting a fair deal.
They will fight on your behalf in the event that the insurance company refuses to pay for medical bills or the like. The lawyer is meant to fight for you so you can focus on healing and feeling better.
Chances are, if you do need a lawyer during this time, you are going to know this once you have started talking with insurance companies.
Don’t be surprised if they try to short change you on what you truly deserve for this car accident. After all, insurance companies do not want to pay out. When this is the case, you really only have one option to get someone on your side, once and for all.
Tips to Remember
Here are a few extra tips that you are going to want to remember when you are involved in a car accident. While emotions may be running high when this happens, be sure to remember:
- Never admit fault even if you feel it was your fault, as you are not sure of the situation yet.
- Always err on the side of caution when it comes to having an injury. Even a small cut can turn into something large if it goes untreated.
- Try to keep from going to pieces when a car accident happens. Remember, you have car insurance and there are laws in place to ensure that everyone is treated fairly when it comes to car accidents.
- If you are getting the run around from the insurance company about fixing the car or paying your expenses, then it is time to get a lawyer.
Remember, a lawyer is going to work on your side to ensure that you are getting what you deserve for being in this car accident.
Don’t hesitate to see what options you have. Conte Jaswal is one of the leading personal injury attorney’s in the area, and we are ready to handle your car accident case so that you are treated fairly and the law is upheld.
Contact us today for a FREE Consultation.