How To Notify The Responsible Party In A Vaughan Personal Injury Accident

If you have been involved in a Vaughan persona injury accident, there are three ways you can notify the responsible party that you intend to make a claim.

  1. You indicate that you want compensation for pain and suffering or you are out of pocket expenses to the person or persons directly.
  2. The responsible party can be notified by receiving a letter from your attorney advising that you intend to make a claim.
  3. The responsible party is served with a Statement of Claim.

Advising the Responsible Party Directly

This approach is one that you may choose in the moments directly following the accident. Not many people who have been injured would decide to contact the responsible party independently to let him or her know that they intend to pursue a claim.

As soon as you say something about retaining a lawyer, looking for compensation, or asking for a copy of an incident report, you have taken the first step toward putting the other party on notice that will be potentially making a claim.

Have your Lawyer Send a Letter

Putting the other party on notice that you intend to make a claim is not just a polite way to let them know that a claim will be coming in the future. It also allows you to claim pre-judgment interest on your claim from the date on the letter, as opposed to the date your Statement of Claim is issued. If your claim is successful, this tactic will end up putting a bit more money in your pocket.

Serve the Responsible Party with a Statement of Claim

In a situation where you are close to the limitation state for filing your claim, your lawyer may go ahead and have a Statement of Claim issued. The responsible party needs to be served with this document within a certain time limit, and this document officially notifies him or her that you are proceeding with your claim for compensation for your injuries and out of pocket expenses.

If you have been injured in an accident or as the result of someone else’s negligence, contact the experienced personal injury lawyers at Conte Associates by calling 1-877-614-0008. Based in Vaughan and Whitby, Conte & Associates works with clients in Whitby/Oshawa, and in the following cities in Ontario: Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Clarington, Newcastle, Courtice, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Port Perry, Belleville, and Peterborough.

View More Articles