No one wants to be involved in a Vaughan motor vehicle accident, but in the unfortunate event that this happens to you, it’s important to take notes at the scene. This information will be needed for making your insurance claim and will be used as evidence if the matter is pursued further.
You only have a limited time for gathering this important information; once the accident scene is cleaned up, witnesses will be gone. It’s a good idea to carry a notepad, along with pens or pencils, in your glove compartment.
Safety Comes First at Vaughan MVA Scenes
Before you even think about taking notes at the scene of a motor vehicle accident, make sure that everyone is safe. Check to make sure that the occupants of your vehicle have not suffered any serious injuries first. If you and your passengers, if any, are all right, look to see if the occupants of the other vehicle appear to be doing well.
Call for assistance as appropriate (police, paramedics, fire department). If you can, move your vehicle out of the way of oncoming traffic.
Take Notes at the Scene of Vaughan Motor Vehicle Accidents
A Vaughan motor vehicle accident is a high-stress event, and you may find that you are unable to remember details as clearly as you would have liked afterward. Taking notes will help you give your insurance company and your lawyer, if you need one, a much better picture of how the accident occurred.
You’ll want to make sure that you make note of the following details following the accident:
- Date and time when the accident occurred
- Weather and road conditions at the time
- Your description of the events leading up the accident in chronological order
- A description of how the accident occurred, as well as what happened immediately afterwards
- Name, contact information and license plate number of the other drivers involved in the accident
- Names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident
- If the police attended at the scene, the accident report reference number
- Name and contact number for the paramedics who attended at the scene
If you have been injured in a Vaughan motor vehicle accident, speak to one of the experienced personal injury lawyers at Conte Associates by calling 1-877-614-0008. Based in Vaughan and Whitby/Oshawa, Conte & Associates works with clients in Vaughan and Whitby and in the following cities in Ontario: Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Clarington, Newcastle, Courtice, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Port Perry, Belleville, and Peterborough.