Dog bites in Vaughan, as well as other parts of Ontario, fall under the provisions of the Dog Owner’s Liability Act. Under the law, the owner is strictly responsible for the injuries and damages caused by his or her animal, either to a person or a person’s pet.
The level of responsibility on the part of the attacking dog’s owner is not reduced at all due to knowledge or precautions the owner took to prevent the attack. These factors are taken into account by the Court when assessing the amount of damages (money) that the victim should receive as compensation for injuries.
How Damages are Assessed in a Dog Bite Case in Vaughan
- The Court will look at the following factors when assessing dog bite injuries to assess how much to award in damages to a plaintiff:
- Whether the person will need surgery in the future
- If the injuries suffered in the dog attack are permanent
- Whether the dog bite victim suffered any economic losses as a result of the attack, such as lost wages or out-of-pocket expenses
Damages will be reduced if the injured person did something to either cause or contribute to the attack. The dog owner will still be held responsible, but the amount of damages may be reduced because the victim contributed to the attack.
Orders the Court Can Make to Protect the Public
The Court has the authority to make orders it seems appropriate to protect the public, including:
- Requiring the owner to pay a fine
- Requiring the owner confine the dog to his or her property, restrain the dog on a leash and/or a muzzle, or post a warning sign
- Requiring the owner to have the dog sterilized
- Destroying the dog
- Preventing the owner from owning a dog for a specific amount of time
Seek Medical Attention Immediately for a Dog Bite
If you or someone you know has been bitten by a dog in Vaughan, seek immediate medical attention. Then find the name of the dog owner and report the incident to the police and the local health unit. You should also consult with a personal injury lawyer to find out your legal rights and find out the steps you need to take if you wish to pursue a claim for damages.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured by a dog bite in Vaughan, contact Conte Associates at 1-877-614-0008. Based in Whitby, Conte & Associates works with clients in Whitby/Oshawa, and in the following cities in Ontario: Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Clarington, Newcastle, Courtice, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Port Perry, Belleville, and Peterborough.